Shifu Gary Mitchell began his martial arts training in the early 1980’s. This began a life long interest in Chinese martial arts history, culture, fighting applications, handforms and weapons, conditioning, energy work, and the life goals that continue to this day. His career has spanned over 40 years of education, competition, performances, seminars, group and individual instruction. Shifu Mitchell is a specialist in Taiwanese and Guangdong style Hongjiaquan (Hung Family Fist), northern/southern & Taiwanese lion dancing, and dragon dance.
Shifu Mitchell began to compete and perform in local, state, national, international competitions and events at the beginning of his career. After winning many state and national championships, he competed in an international tournament in Taipei, Taiwan (the country from which his current martial arts training originates). Following this, he has performed in many cultural events in the U.S., Germany, and Canada, as well as a special guest in numerous master demonstrations.
Shifu Mitchell is active in demonstrating and teaching at various corporate, public and private events, schools, and cultural festivals across the country. He has performed for an array of famous celebrities such as: former president Jimmy Carter, hip hop stars “Ludacriss”, “2 Chainz”, and “Dallas Austin”, actress Jane Fonda, and journalist Hugh Downs, to name a few.
List of Credentials
- More than 30 years of Chinese Martial Arts experience
- Numerous national and international competitions
- Master demonstrations at numerous Chinese Martial Arts tournaments
- Published an instructional tape on Hung Quan Chin Na locking techniques
- Mercer University of Law self-defense demonstration
- AT&T women’s self-defense seminar
- Zoo Atlanta fundraiser for Chinese pandas
- Atlanta Botanical Gardens Asian Cultural Festival
- Various high schools, elementary schools, and private schools
- UNICEF charity fundraiser (performing for former President Jimmy Carter and 20/20 host Hugh Downs)
- World of Coca-Cola Asian Cultural Festival
- Annual Stone Mountain Dragon Boat Races
- Hosts annual Chinese New Year and Asian cultural arts festivals
- Hosts annual seminars by Grand Master Lin, who travels from Taipei, Taiwan
- Various Taiwan high schools and technical institutions
- Kung Fu and Lion Dance performed at functions for all Asian holidays observed in R.O.C.
- Taiwan Presidential Candidates Party
- Taiwanese business Grand Openings
- Lion Dance demonstrations for Epcot Center (1988-1989)
- Phoenix, AZ. Asia Day Festival
- Phoenix, AZ. Asian Cultural Festival
Grandmaster Lin, Jian Hong (given name Lin, Jian Teng) born in Pingdong, Taiwan, began his studies in the art of Shao-Lin Hung Quan at the age of 15 under the tutelage of Taiwan Great Grandmaster Zhang, Ke Zhi.
He began demonstrating his art to the public at the age of 23 and opened his first Kung Fu School in Taipei, Taiwan at the age of 25.
In 1981, 1983, 1992 and 1996 his talents in Qi Gong and Kung Fu were given full honors by the Martial Schools of Germany so that he and his associates would come to demonstrate and share their knowledge with the Europeans bringing the true Chinese martial traditions to the west.
In 1994 and 1996, his talents and knowledge in Qi Gong and Kung Fu were again requested to be shown to the public in Okinawa, Japan. Bringing the Japanese and Chinese together was a miraculous feat and Grandmaster Lin, Jian Hong made it possible with an open mind and heart.
Through tremendous efforts and long-lasting perseverance he began the Shao-Lin Kung Fu Association R.O.C. (Republic of China) in 1980 to bring the martial schools of Taiwan together for unity and friendship in demonstration as well as competition, showing once again that China is not the only country with traditional roots in Kung Fu.
In 1994 and 1996, he hosted 2 All-Taiwan Kuoshu (National Art) Tournaments, bringing the best of Taiwan together for competitions in hand forms, weapons and full-contact fighting.
All together, Grandmaster Lin, Jian Hong has accumulated at least 7000 students from over 20 countries. He diligently continues his instruction to insure the Hung Quan tradition is passed on, and the spirit’s flame burns brightly.
Grandmaster Lin, Jian Hong spreads his knowledge throughout Taiwan and in 1995 his American disciple Shi Fu Gary Mitchell opened his school to the public to pass on Grandmaster Lin’s knowledge in America.
Grandmaster Lin is highly recognized for his skills in traditional Shao-Lin Hung Quan as well as Chi Kung. His Chi Kung skills include Light Body Chi Kung, Throat-Piercing Chi Kung, Iron Vest Chi Kung, and many others.
Great Grandmaster Zhang, Ke Zhi
Grandmaster Zhang Ke Zhi was born in Hua Lian, Tiawan. He began his military career in 1966. It was in 1968, while serving in the army, that he met and became a desciple to Lin, Jia Kun. Master Lin, Jia Kun apreciated Zhang, Ke Zhi’s fire and passion, and his love for the training that he advanced him quickly (it should be noted that Zhang, Ke Zhi studied an unknown Shao-Lin Gung Fu, under another master before studying with Lin, Jia Kun). Zhang was master Lin’s one and only student throughout his life in Tiawan.
Grandmaster Zhang opened his Gung Fu Guan and medicine clinic in Taipei city, in 1970.
Grandmaster Zhang resides in Tiawan, occasionally demonstrates and oversees the teachings of his various students who still carry the banner of Taiwanese Hong Quan.